To start the seedlings, I used an egg crate...
Sunday, April 1, 2012
It was my goal this year to grow something I can eat, simple task right? I HOPE! I bought some seeds at ACE...cilantro, rosemary, basil and tomatoes...They are the cutest little things, I have NOO idea if I am doing this right...but so far so good!
The roommates and I have been slowly decorating our humble abode. I found two frames in a garbage can (classy) a few weeks ago. We decided to paint chalk board behind them to add a message board in our kitchen and a score board by our dart board.
Ever have that problem where you LOVE the dress but hate how it fits? Straps too long/short, neckline too long/short ect ect. Well there is this tank top at Heartbreakers in Uptown that fits me perrrrrrfectly. SO! I decided to attach a skirt to it and make it into a dress!
After completing the skirt I decided to venture onto a dress. I wanted to try a tank-connected-to-a-skirt dress and bought all of the material, but then got stitch shy. I drew up the dress, thought about the connections in my head but still was scared....so to delay the making of that, I decided to make a VERY simple dress to get going on my full-dress-making goal.
Still with me...?!
Still with me...?!
For my first try at a skirt, I wanted to go as basic as I could. I went with a Maxi dress design with a simple elastic waist. I bought 2 yards of jersey fabric and went to town.
I have started to go to Corepower yoga a bit more regularly. I had an elastic band over my bag but my mat always seemed to fall out of it on my walk over. I like to bike to yoga when it is nice out which makes is harder to carry my mat. Using some left over fabric I stitched together a bag which also had room for a water bottle and a towel leaving me hands free to ride my bike!
I wanted to work up to make my own dresses/skirts. Before that, I knew I needed more time behind the needle to get all of the kinks out. I needed a sunglasses case and a yoga bag to store my mat in: game on.
I first tackled the sunglasses case. I had bought some vinyl that was on sale at the fabric store, I spent a bit of time testing out the different stitching designs I could do on my machine and loved out the zig-zag looked against the gray vinyl. I used a simple envelope design that I hope to make into a large clutch someday...here is how it turned out!
Everyone, I would like to introduce to you, Elna. I got her as a present for my birthday last October, but was immediately side tracked with school/work/holidays and finally got to put the pedal to the metal this past month. I haven't used a sewing machine since I made my father a TV cover for his garage, so I wanted to start small and work my way up. I found this great tutorial on how to make a bow clutch and tried it out for size.
First I made this red one, I used a light weight interface and made it a bit taller than the tutorial suggests. Although it is a bit flimsy, if the clutch is filled it will keep it's shape.
This was my second shot at the bow clutch, I used a VERY thick interface here, making it very difficult to tuck it right side out at the end and feels a bit too stiff.
A few suggestions when trying this yourself:
1: Get a good interfacing to ensure the clutch will keep it's shape. Lightweight is too thin, but hard as cardboard is too thick. A good Heavy interfacing is perfect. It hardens when you iron it to the fabric
2. Try to match the zipper with the top fabric, especially if you a new at this and kinda shaky with the thread lines, it helps to hide the imperfections
3. Choose a heavy fabric, jersey/silk will be too flimsy
4. BE PATIENT...and have a seam ripper on hand :)