Small Victories!

GUYS! I still owe you some juicy updates on the Kitchen Drywall and the (finally, fully) FINISHED upstairs bathroom. HOWEVER, my DSLR of 10+ years has recently decided that it's not interested in focusing any more. Which is usually fine because i'm coo with iPhone photos (like, all of today's post), but the bathroom and kitchen photograph SO MUCH BETTER on a manual mode. I'll get over it soon and getcha an update but until then! Thought i'd drop by with a few small upgrades we completed between traveling lately.

FIRST! Outside.


I mean, obviously the house has since been painted, but I wanted to focus on that little red box. Our mail box, it's a super cute old post box that had seen better days. 


Since getting the house painted it sat in our planter boxes for the rest of summer while we debated all 10 million options on what to do with it. There were a bunch of scratches on the box, but nothing offensive. So we debated ordering a new sticker and spray painting it (what color? Red? Green? Yellow?). While we went over color options I tried to find a new 'modern' post sticker and came up short. After considering making my own we both threw in the towel once we found this little mail box at the Pottery Barn:


It matched all the black accents we have out there, and is just so cute. BTW if you are drilling through stucco as we are, be sure to get the right drill bit so it doesn't take you an hour to bore one hole :)


Also, you'll notice (probably not) that the screen door is gone! The door was so old and janky and every time we opened it a curse word came out. So, we ordered a new door and after picking it up from the store we took out the old and promptly destroyed it into 10 pieces (we take all our scrap metal to the metal recycler and omg the door yielded a WHOPPING 96 CENTS! LOL). Only to find that I measured the wrong jamb of the door, and that of course our door isn't 'typical' and that now we'd need to return this door and custom order a new one! So, TBD on when THAT will happen. 

ONTO THE NEXT UPDATE!
This one is inside, so you can take your jacket off now...i'll wait.

Let's talk door hardware. At some point, the previous owners took out all the original doors to the bedrooms and put hollow core doors (WHY!) with some  cheap looking brass handles. I knew I wanted to get new handles for them to mimic the handles on all the closet doors:


But first I had to paint. In my last house I took one entire weekend and painted ALL the trim and doors. It was one of the worst weekends, but it was like ripping a giant bandaid off. I'm taking a different approach on this house...small doses of trim paint. SO! Here is the door, if you didn't know what a door looks like:


And from the inside, sneak peak at some towel hooks we FINALLY installed...


Close up of the door handle, for good measure...


SO, changing out a door knob. FAIRLY straight forward since you are basically taking apart something and then putting it back together with just a better looking item. So, unscrew all the things:



^^Evidence of my very clean painting skillz


Then you put it all back together! The bummer part for me was that the circumference (math!) of the new latch was like 1/16th larger than the old one. So I had to sand that hole down for what felt like an hour to jam it in there. The rest was smooth sailing.





MUUUUUUUCH better.